What to do when a car accident happens?
Here is a checklist on what to do.
- Check for injuries and car damages.
- Move to a safe place.
- Call 911 as soon as possible to report the accident.
- Open your insurance mobile app.
- Collect other driver’s info such as insurance information, personal information, and driver’s license.
- If any witness saw the accident, ask for their personal information too, it will be an important fact that your insurance company might need.
- Take & upload photos of the damage. The more proof you have, the better.
- Record a statement from the scene.
- Call your insurance company, you can find the number on your insurance card.
- After an accident, both parties are responsible for reporting the accident and collecting info.
What do you collect after a car accident in Texas?
Other driver’s info to collect after a car accident
Your insurance company may ask you for this others driver’s info including:
- Policy number
- Phone Number
- Driver Licence
- License plate number
- Car information (model, number and year) take photos if possible
- Give the same information to the other driver.
Should you move your car?
If no one is hurt, both parties should move their car to allow traffic flow. Just be sure to take photos of the situation before doing it.
When do I need to call the police?
Texas Transportation says to call the police in one of the following situations:
- Vehicles cannot be moved.
- If you hit an insured driver.
- If you were involved in a hit and run accident.
- The other driver was under the influence.
- An injury or fatality happened.
Do all accidents have to be reported?
Depends on what you would like to do. For best practices report the accident to 911 and your insurance company.
You may ask, “Do I need to contact my insurance after a minor accident?” and there is no yes or no answer. It’s your personal decision but for best practices report your accident.
Before doing it, just remember what type of coverage you have. If you’re not sure about that, feel free to ask and follow your agents advice.
If your auto insurance company has an app, you can file a claim on your mobile phone.
Is there a time limit to report a car accident to insurance?
The sooner, the better. Most of the companies have deadlines to file a claim. Get to the point and explain what happened, get your info, other driver’s info, witness details and photos.
What happens if I don’t call my insurance after an accident?
Things can turn complicated. Your carrier may not cover your accident and you may end up having to pay out of pocket.
What to do after a car accident that’s your fault?
- Do not flee the scene. It’s illegal and the consequences are far worse.
- Do not say you’re at fault, even if it might be. Let the facts and adjusters determine fault.
- Share your information with the other driver if necessary.
- Report the accident.
Even for at-fault accidents, the insurance policy in Texas may cover the following third-party damages:
- Medical fees and hospital stays for the driver and passengers.
- Repair or replace the vehicle.
- Rental car reimbursement.
- Lost wages for injuries.
If the cost of the damages exceed what at-fault driver’s policy limits, the damage driver may fill a policy with their insurance company to pay for the difference if they have collision coverage.
Sometimes, insurance companies decide both drivers are at fault and will pay part of the claim.
Texas is an at-fault state and it’s illegal to drive a car without auto insurance. Be a responsible citizen and get the coverage that protects you against accidents.
After everything has been filed, give your company some time to process and gather all the details. stay in touch with your adjuster and agent.
They work for you and are there to help assist in this unforeseen period.